“Are You a Zombie and Don’t Know It?”
In case you haven’t noticed, shows about the zombie apocalypse are all the rage on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Why is that? Because people sense such shows represent a dramatized version of what’s already happening in the world. Look around. It seems that everyone from the President on down is caught up in some kind of conspiracy theory, depression, or very strange behavior.
Unfortunately, people who are zombies don’t necessarily know that they’re zombies. Such sleepwalkers mindlessly follow the zombie masses, all the while thinking they are alive and have free will. Since it’s not easy to know if you have become a zombie, I have created a 10 statement test you can take to see if you have fallen into “zombieland.” If you think any of the following statements are true, you might just be a zombie…
1. If you think Facebook posts don’t manipulate your feelings and beliefs… you might be a zombie.
2. If you think global warming is a Chinese hoax, you might be a zombie.
3. If you think anything Donald Trump says is true… you might be a zombie.
4. If you think vaccines are bad for public health…you might be a zombie.
5. If you think Q-anon is a reliable news source…you might be a zombie.
6. If you think Mike Pence lives his life by the teachings of Jesus…you might be a zombie.
7. If you think Covid-19 will miraculously disappear…or can be cured with bleach… you might be a zombie.
8. If you think the Police treat Black and White folks the same… you might be a zombie.
9. If all your friends self-righteously believe in the same stuff you do… you might be a zombie.
10. If you think Love only refers to a score in tennis…you might be a zombie.
So, how’d you do? If you now suddenly realize you may be a zombie, don’t panic. There are ways to “de zombify” yourself. First, try watching or reading more than one news source, especially if your main news source is Fox News or Facebook. Zombiehood thrives when people live in echo chambers. A closed — or completely made-up mind — is the first symptom that you may have contracted the zombie virus.
Second, if you want to de-zombify yourself, try doing something that is outside of your comfort zone. For example, try to understand the thinking of someone of a different political party than the one you belong to. If you can’t do that, then that’s another indication you may be a zombie.
Nowadays, it’s easy to be a zombie. The allure of social media, like-minded friends, and the preponderance of conspiracy theories all make it more difficult to think for ourselves. In conditions such as these, humans tend to fall into a primitive tribal mentality. They end up losing their true selves.
What the world needs now (besides love, sweet love) is people who can realize they’ve been brainwashed, and thereby break free of their programming. Now is the time to question what you’ve been fed and seek out the truth as best you can.
If You Want to be a Zombie
Of course, if you want to become a zombie, or continue to be a zombie if you already are one, that should be your death-right. It’s a very popular option nowadays, and quite easy to do. In case this appeals to you, here are several ways to make sure you align with zombiehood:
1. Listen exclusively to Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, or Sean Hannity. With each word you hear, thousands of neurons will be swiftly sucked out of your brain.
2. Spend the majority of your waking hours in front of electronic screens, preferably on Facebook, reading like-minded friends’ posts.
3. Believe every thought and conspiracy theory your mind conjures up, and proselytize these beliefs in a way that’s especially annoying to others.
4. Avoid all nature, open-minded people, or moments of quiet contemplation.
5. Maintain a state of constant agitation, self-righteousness, and a sense that the world is about to come to an end.
If you do all of the above, you too can become a successful zombie. You will be quickly rewarded by other zombies who will welcome you to their club.
On the other hand, if you want to become your own true self, you might find that your friends need to change. You’ll not only have to fight the zombie masses, you’ll have to elude the mechanical programming of your very own mind. You may have to ask yourself many times a day, “Why do I believe that? Is that really true?” Zombies find self-reflection to be as threatening as sunlight and crosses are to vampires.
You may be thinking, “Not being a zombie sounds hard.” Rest assured it can be an undertaking. So why make the attempt? Two reasons. First, as with climbing a mountain, becoming a fully alive free-thinking person is a glorious challenge. It’s why we’ve been given life. Second, the world could really use some clear thinking, open, and loving people right now.
It is possible to leave zombie hood behind. It’s our great challenge at this time in history. But before we can detach from our zombie ways, we need to have a vision that a better world is truly possible. As John Lennon once said, “Imagine all the people living life in peace…You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.” May you (and all of us) break free of the land of zombies…